From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] How is initrd built?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 14:06:24
1 On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 09:50 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
2 > In the new version, the initrd doesn't appear to be an ext2 filesystem
3 > anymore... it's some kind of compressed cpio file?!?! Anyway, that's
4 > what "file" tells me.
5
6 It is an initramfs image. You can work with it just like any other cpio
7 archive.
8
9 > Is there any way I can work with this new format in a similar manner
10 > (mount it, modify it, etc.)?
11
12 There's no need to mount it, as it isn't a filesystem image, but a cpio
13 archive. It's about the same as a tarball, except different. :P
14
15 We switched to initramfs because it allowed us to work around the
16 absolute *hack* that I had included in genkernel for gensplash support
17 and allows us to use something sane. It also keeps us from having to
18 statically install the splash theme into the kernel bzImage itself,
19 saving a ton of space on the CD images created.
22 Chris Gianelloni
24 Games - Developer
25 Gentoo Linux