From: Paul Smith <psmith@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] How is initrd built?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 13:50:38
1 Next question... and it's back to the subject line even!! :-)
2
3 So, I'm using the latest Catalyst and genkernel. In previous releases
4 if I needed to tweak the initrd image during development (typically of
5 the linuxrc script), rather than rebuilding everything I'd often unpack
6 the Catalyst tarball, uncompress the .igz file into a .ird file, then
7 mount it as an ext2 filesystem. Then I could modify it as necessary,
8 sync, and rebuild the .iso (I'd usually change the .cfg file to use the
9 uncompressed version to avoid having to recompress it).
10
11 In the new version, the initrd doesn't appear to be an ext2 filesystem
12 anymore... it's some kind of compressed cpio file?!?! Anyway, that's
13 what "file" tells me.
16 Is there any way I can work with this new format in a similar manner
17 (mount it, modify it, etc.)?
21 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
22 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
24 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
25 --
26 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list