From: Eric Edgar <rocket@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] stage4 spec
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 15:26:01
1 Currently Catalyst2 supports most of the functionality that you require.
2 Catalyst is *NOT* designed to run from our livecd at the moment because
3 it needs a few things the livecd structure doesnt support at the moment.
4 First it would require the seed stage + snapshot to be on the tree or be
5 downloaded via the network. Since the downloaded seed/snapshot is in
6 the order of 200Mb this would require about 200Mb of ram just to hold
7 those files since the cdrom is read-only. These files cant go into the
8 chroot dir on the harddrive as catalyst makes great effort to make sure
9 these directories are clean before it runs.
10 Also we dont plan on adding partitioning support/filesystem creation
11 support to catalyst anytime soon. We dont want to overwrite anyones
12 filesystems and with this tool the chances are just to large at the
13 moment to do the wrong thing.
14
15 But you should be able to do this with catalyst 2.
16
17 create a new stage4 tarball. This tarball will contain the kernel(s)
18 initrds and any other system files. the fsscript part of the
19 stage4 spec will allow a scripted post install script that will
20 allow automation of steps normally performed during an install.
21 There is also an overlay option that will allow additional
22 directories and files to be copied into the chroot before it is
23 tarred up.
24
25 The install process would be as you already have in place.
26 A script that you create and place on your livecd.
27
28 It will create the partitions and filesystems, get the stage4
29 tarball from somewhere on the network via ftp/wget/scp and untar it
30 into your newly created filesystems. modify the fstab to match your
31 disk layout. rerun your bootloader software to laydown a mbr and
32 then reboot.
33
34 I hope this helps,
35 Eric