From: Toon Verstraelen <Toon.Verstraelen@×××××.be>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] stage4 spec
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 20:57:57
1 Hi,
2
3 I've been playing with catalyst for the last few days and it was great
4 fun. I've created a livecd that partitions and formats /dev/hda of a
5 cluster node automatically and then downloads a complete image from the
6 file server and untars it. grub is also automatically installed. The
7 image was a created in a chrooted environment on the server following
8 the installation handbook.
9
10 Is it a good idea to create a sort of stage4 spec for catalyst that does
11 the installation of the node image (in the chrooted environment on the
12 server) automatically? Although this would be a complicated spec, in my
13 case the benefit would be huge for creating production quality node
14 images. I'm interested in doing a bit of catalyst-development to achieve
15 this, but how do I get started?
16
17 Other benefits of such a stage4 spec could be:
18 * unattended install of a gentoo system from a livecd
19 * it could be used by an installer tool that interrogates the user
20 about all possible installation options, then creates the
21 corresponding stage4 spec and runs catalyst to do the job.
22 * A wide set of predefined configurations on the livecd so that
23 absolute noobs could install a gentoo in different flavors.
24 * Instead of creating a complicated howto about setting up a
25 ...-server, one could just publish the stage4 spec with post
26 installation scripts and/or configuration files.
27 The reader of the howto can get started much easier and by changing
28 the spec he can customize the installation of such a specialized
29 server to his own needs.
30
31 Any comments are welcome. I just collected a few thoughts here.
32
33 greetings,
34
35 Toon