From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Too many problems with groupadd when creating stage3
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:42:31
1 On Tuesday 20 October 2009 19:56:09 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 13:52 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 15 October 2009 13:50:40 Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > > > or just fix catalyst
5 > >
6 > > erm, that's probably wrong. catalyst does what it's told as directed by
7 > > the portage tree profiles. so the profiles probably need tweaking to
8 > > produce a sane stage2.
9 >
10 > Tried it. If you'd prefer, I can pull up the list of bugs where we hit
11 > this on nearly every release, but since a viable solution was never
12 > reached, I don't see how it would help.
13 >
14 > Our main "fix" was to not build stages for desktop profiles, or to use a
15 > complete stage3 tarball as input for another stage3, but that's equally
16 > as broken.
17 >
18 > I'd *gladly* fix catalyst to work around this, if I had a clue how to do
19 > so. Hacking profiles ended up yielding nothing workable, just so
20 > everyone knows.
21
22 not sure why we're still even using this stage[123] system. seems like
23 catalyst could be implemented in all of three commands:
24 ROOT=/tmp/stage3_pre emerge system -e
25 chroot /tmp/stage3 env ROOT=/tmp/stage3 emerge system -e
26
27 then we wouldnt need these USE="build bootstrap" hacks nor would we need the
28 packages.build cruft
29 -mike