From: "W. Trevor King" <wking@×××××××.us>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] patch, fix broken seed stage update
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 12:13:06
1 On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 06:04:54PM -0800, Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 > I tried using git to send this patch, but it did not work. I'll look
3 > into how to make it work with email.
4 > …
5 > I will continue to spam the list with all my rebased commits, which I
6 > intended to do when I had more time. I sent this one off this morning
7 > before I went to work. I know Jorge was interested in the changes. I'm
8 > back now, so will manually prepare more patch mails.
9
10 It looks like you're pasting diffs into your email client, which makes
11 it harder for others to apply them with `git am`. When I'm submitting
12 patches via email, I usually do something like:
13
14 $ git format-patch --cover-letter -v3 -o my-fix $(git merge-base my-fix master)
15 $ emacs my-fix/v3-0000-cover-letter.patch
16 … fill in subject and summarize changes since v2 …
17 $ git send-email --to gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o \
18 --in-reply-to '<message-id-for-v2@××.invalid>' my-fix/v3-*
19
20 Where `my-fix` is the name of my feature branch. The `-v3` option
21 requires Git ≥1.8.2 for -v/--reroll-count, before that you had to use
22 something like `--subject-prefix 'PATCH v3'` [1].
23
24 By default, `send-email` will try and send the emails with `sendmail`.
25 If you don't have a working version of sendmail installed, you can
26 configure it to use SMTP instead [2,3].
27
28 By using the format-patch/send-email pair, you avoid copy/paste errors
29 and tedium. You also have author information and commit messages
30 preserved in a form that `git am` understands. Wins for everybody ;).
31
32 Cheers,
33 Trevor
34