From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] proper way to deviate in system use flags?
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 22:13:27
1 On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 11:29 +0800, Max Arnold wrote:
2 > I'm trying to build my own stage4 with specific packages and use flags.
3 > My steps are: stage3-i686-2007.0 + recent snapshot -> stage1 -> stage2 -> stage3 -> stage4
4
5 OK, start from an x86 stage3, though.
6
7 > Specs for stages 1-3 are generic (just copied from releng/specs/2007.0/x86), and stage4
8 > adds portage_confdir, stage4/use and several packages.
9 >
10 > Stage4 compiles fine, but when I chroot to it and issue emerge -pvuDN world, portage
11 > wants to remerge several system packages due to changed use flags (for example ipv6, which
12 > is disabled in my stage4/use).
13 >
14 > So it is seems that my stage4/use and portage_confdir does not affect system packages
15 > (I guess that catalyst does only --emptytree when emerging stage4).
16
17 Ehh, not quite. The USE you set in your spec only affects the stage
18 build. It doesn't affect what happens *after* the stage build. It also
19 doesn't affect packages built before your current stage build. One
20 thing that you did not mention is what version of catalyst that you're
21 using. Newer versions of catalyst, like the currently masked
22 2.0.6_pre17, support writing out spec_prefix/use to make.conf so the
23 changes "stick" in your stage.
24
25 > So, there are my questions:
26 >
27 > 1. Am I correct in assumption that use flags are stacked during stage4 like this:
28 > profile -> stage4/use -> package.use (increasing priority from left to right)?
29
30 That's over-simplified, but yes.
31
32 > 2. What is the proper (and simple to maintain) way to deviate slightly in system use flags?
33
34 The way that you're doing it works fine if you're planning on shipping a
35 stage4 all the time. Were I doing this myself, I'd make a new profile
36 with the desired changes, but that's just me.
37
38 > My guesses:
39 > 1. Add 'hostuse' variable to earlier specs (stage3?)
40
41 Already done in newer catalyst versions...
42
43 > 2. Add 'portage_confdir' to earlier specs (but my -ipv6 listed in stage4/use and not in package.use)
44
45 You should always use the same portage_confdir across all stages. In
46 the future, catalyst will check for this and will refuse to run if you
47 didn't use the same snapshot and portage_confdir on your stages. This
48 should hopefully reduce the number of "human errors" made when people
49 are using catalyst. ;]
50
51 > 3. Create new target (based on stage4 code) and add --newuse somewhere
52
53 It wouldn't matter. You'd need --newuse --deep. We specifically have
54 not done this, as the stage4 code shares most of its code with the
55 livecd/stage1 and livecd-stage2 code, which was originally written with
56 the Minimal/Universal InstallCD in mind and doesn't require rebuilding
57 the system packages to match the CD's USE.
58
59 The best and most correct solution is to make your USE changes in a
60 profile and use that profile to build your stages.
61
62 > 4. Create my own profile (don't know where to put it and how to maintain during tree updates)
63
64 This is what you should do. Simply stick it in $portdir/profiles where
65 you'd like it before running your snapshot. To keep "emerge --sync"
66 from wiping it out, add
67 PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--exclude=profiles/myprofilename" to
68 your /etc/make.conf on your host/build system.
71 Chris Gianelloni
72 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
73 Games Developer
74 --