From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Migrating man page to asciidoc?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 03:15:02
1 On 06/26/2011 04:49 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > No, we can't have the manpage pre-rendered in the tarball, because that
3 > makes the tarball different every time it is created since the
4 > date/timestamps in the archive will be different. In other words, it is
5 > not possible for anyone to ever reproduce the exact same tarball that we
6 > produce.
7
8 The varience in timestamp has been no problem for other projects
9 including genkernel. If all that varies is the time stamp and it
10 matters to you, it would be easy to add a section to the Makefile
11 setting the timestamp to a hardcoded value.
14 > I see two ways around this: We can either make asciidoc a build time
15 > dependency so that the user can use something like "make manpage" to
16 > generate the manpage
17
18 That adds quite some load on indirect dependencies for more or less
19 nothing, as seen with Matt earlier.
22 > or we can go back to the manpage that is in the git
23 > repository.
24
25 Do I have to list reasons against this option?
26
27 Best,
32 Sebastian