From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Migrating man page to asciidoc?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 03:36:38
1 On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 05:14:38AM +0200, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 > On 06/26/2011 04:49 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > No, we can't have the manpage pre-rendered in the tarball, because that
4 > > makes the tarball different every time it is created since the
5 > > date/timestamps in the archive will be different. In other words, it is
6 > > not possible for anyone to ever reproduce the exact same tarball that we
7 > > produce.
8 >
9 > The varience in timestamp has been no problem for other projects
10 > including genkernel. If all that varies is the time stamp and it
11 > matters to you, it would be easy to add a section to the Makefile
12 > setting the timestamp to a hardcoded value.
13
14 That is already done if you use "git archive" to generate the archive
15 and use the tags in the git repository along with that. For an example,
16 look at openrc's git repository.
17 > > I see two ways around this: We can either make asciidoc a build time
18 > > dependency so that the user can use something like "make manpage" to
19 > > generate the manpage
20 >
21 > That adds quite some load on indirect dependencies for more or less
22 > nothing, as seen with Matt earlier.
23
24 That is exactly why I prefer the other option I mention below.
25
26 > > or we can go back to the manpage that is in the git
27 > > repository.
28 >
29 > Do I have to list reasons against this option?
30
31 I think it would be helpful if you did since you did the conversion
32 without discussing it with the rest of the team first.
33
34 William