From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Migrating man page to asciidoc?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 03:49:39
1 On 06/26/2011 05:36 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > That is already done if you use "git archive" to generate the archive
3 > and use the tags in the git repository along with that. For an example,
4 > look at openrc's git repository.
5
6 I'm aware of git archive - it does not support handling of generated
7 files afaik.
10 >>> I see two ways around this: We can either make asciidoc a build time
11 >>> dependency so that the user can use something like "make manpage" to
12 >>> generate the manpage
13 >>
14 >> That adds quite some load on indirect dependencies for more or less
15 >> nothing, as seen with Matt earlier.
16 >
17 > That is exactly why I prefer the other option I mention below.
18
19 Alright. On the other hand without dependencies you get nowhere: either
20 you don#t have features or you build every wheel yourself.
23 >>> or we can go back to the manpage that is in the git
24 >>> repository.
25 >>
26 >> Do I have to list reasons against this option?
27 >
28 > I think it would be helpful if you did since you did the conversion
29 > without discussing it with the rest of the team first.
30
31 Peter Volkov voted for it, Peter Stuge said the list was rather silent.
32 So I went for it. The migration in genkernel was of great help. I see
33 your apology in your other mail now, accepting.
34
35 Benefits of the current Asciidoc approach:
36
37 - No need to write *roff manually.
38 Plus Asciidoc syntax is more readable.
39
40 - Man page keeps itself in sync on
41
42 - list of subarches
43
44 - version of catalyst
45
46 - Option to make XHTML from the same source
47
48 Best,
52 Sebastian