From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] standardizing output
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 06:04:14
1 On 08 Oct 2015 18:24, Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 > On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 20:38:25 -0400 Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > how do people feel about killing off the use of "print" everywhere and
4 > > moving to the standard logging module ? biggest advantages in my
5 > > mind:
6 > > - we get much easier control over where the output goes
7 > > (file/stdout/...)
8 > > - we force people to select a level (info/warning/error)
9 > > - we get standardized output
10 > > - we can more easily control the output (debug/verbose/etc...)
11 > > - we can include module/func/line info transparently in debug modes
12 > > - we can exit transparently on fatal/critical messages (rather than
13 > > using die/exit/etc... directly)
14 > > - we can colorize warnings/errors transparently
15 > > - we get py3 compat for free (all current print usage is py2-only)
16 >
17 > It's been on our wish list for several years. So go for it!
18
19 done!
20
21 > That'll be one less thing holding up p3 compatibility.
22 >
23 > I've added some extra print statements in there doing the re-write, but
24 > there was just too much in there that needed fixing.
25
26 i have noticed that DeComp calls print() and that's bad juju -- modules
27 should never call print().
28
29 if you do want to expose details like that in a module, you should use
30 the logging module and tie it to a specific logger. something like:
31 logger = logging.getLogger('DeComp')
32 logger.setLevel(logging.CRITICAL)
33 and then DeComp would only ever call logger.xxx to log output.
34
35 if people want to get logging details from DeComp, then they'd do:
36 import DeComp
37 DeComp.logger.setLevel(logging.DEBUG)
38 assuming you put the logger into __init__.py of course. i have no opinion
39 on how you want to structure that logic.
40 -mike