From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] standardizing output
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 01:25:23
1 On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 20:38:25 -0400
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > how do people feel about killing off the use of "print" everywhere and
5 > moving to the standard logging module ? biggest advantages in my
6 > mind:
7 > - we get much easier control over where the output goes
8 > (file/stdout/...)
9 > - we force people to select a level (info/warning/error)
10 > - we get standardized output
11 > - we can more easily control the output (debug/verbose/etc...)
12 > - we can include module/func/line info transparently in debug modes
13 > - we can exit transparently on fatal/critical messages (rather than
14 > using die/exit/etc... directly)
15 > - we can colorize warnings/errors transparently
16 > - we get py3 compat for free (all current print usage is py2-only)
17 > -mike
20 It's been on our wish list for several years. So go for it!
21
22 That'll be one less thing holding up p3 compatibility.
23
24 I've added some extra print statements in there doing the re-write, but
25 there was just too much in there that needed fixing.
26
27 One thing that is needed more than that still is:
28
29 There are still some hard coded paths. I believe they are only in the
30 bash support scripts. I should have all of the python side changed
31 over.
32
33 All exported variables from python to bash are prefixed with clst_ and
34 dashes and slashes are replaced with "_" if they are in the variable
35 name.
36
37 We are not able to relocate the main gentoo tree until those are fixed.
38
39 It was how I got started re-writing catalyst in the first place. Then
40 on the python side paths were hard coded EVERYWHERE and used as both a
41 variable name and value.
42 --
43 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>