From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Re: minimal install on usb key
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:07:00
1 On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 00:38 -0400, Christophe PEREZ wrote:
2 > But, I prefere to have to system 'uptodate'.
3 > For the moment, I just removed ipw2100 because I didn't really knew what
4 > to do.
5
6 Please do not complain that you cannot duplicate my work if you are not
7 using an identical environment.
8
9 > > While it can be done using portage_confdir, I highly recommend against
10 > > it.
11 >
12 > I don't find this option anywhere !
13
14 It is in the documentation. Did you install catalyst with USE="doc
15 examples"? If not, I suggest you do so and start looking at the example
16 spec files, along with the documentation. The example spec files,
17 in /usr/share/doc/catalyst-$ver/examples, are up-to-date and have all
18 the options listed.
19
20 > > You just need to ask more questions, honestly.
21 >
22 > Are you sure you want to see me here everyday ? ;-)
23
24 Sure.
25
26 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/1.x/reference.xml
27
28 Use the example ebuild in /usr/share/doc/catalyst-$ver/examples, rather
29 than this out-of-date document.
30
31 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~citizen428/hypermail/gentoo-catalyst/thread.html
32 > and others from forum opened in my firefox ;-)
33
34 Honestly, I would also avoid the forums, as they have been anywhere from
35 100% correct to 100% wrong in how to do things. It is best to use the
36 authoritative sources for information, which currently is this list,
37 which has the catalyst developers on it, and also the examples installed
38 via the catalyst ebuild.
39
40 > I always search before asking here.
41 > But, often, I don't understand the answers, or, I don't find the same
42 > problem as mine.
43
44 Generally, if a problem is similar, then it is the same. As for
45 understanding the problems/solutions, that will come with time.
46 Catalyst is a fairly complex piece of software. Unfortunately, with
47 flexibility, comes complexity.
48
49 > I have now my own install-minimal-20050627.iso, and I wrote a script
50 > to concert it automaticaly in a liveusb, booting with grub, splash etc...
51 > I'm really happy !
52
53 Cool. =]
54
55 > I'll try now to make some builds more difficult, but for that, I first
56 > need to know how to affect USES to my packages.
57
58 Honestly, the best way is via livecd/use, rather than a portage
59 configuration directory.
62 Chris Gianelloni
64 Games - Developer
65 Gentoo Linux