From: William Kilian <will@×××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] gensplash kernel with internal initramfs
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:47:45
1 Ahh, now that I understand your question it is clear to me that I don't
2 know the answer ;-) Sorry!
3
4 David Wilk wrote:
5
6 >Sure, and that's what I tried first. I had a separate initrd line
7 >(for lilo) like you have below and lilo would only load the initrd and
8 >not the initramfs in the kernel. I need both loaded like isolinux
9 >does.
10 >
11 >I only tried passing the initrd line to the kernel in hopes that the
12 >kernel would somehow help in loading it's initramfs. After all, it is
13 >kept in the kernel image itself.
14 >
15 >The specific exampe here is the way the gentoo livecd works. It loads
16 >both an initramfs (first) as well as an initrd (later in boot
17 >process). I would like to mimic that behavior with lilo (or grub if
18 >necessary).
19 >
20 >I know this is confusing. Hell, it took me a good while just to
21 >figure out that the gentoo livecd hid their boot splash in an
22 >initramfs hidden in the kernel! I appreciate your help with this.
23 >
24 >thanks,
25 >Dave