From: William Kilian <will@×××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] server maintenance w/ catalyst
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 02:20:37
1 Hello,
2
3 I have a lot of questions about using catalyst to automate server
4 maintenance. Here's the scenario:
5
6 I administer several servers and want to be able to perform upgrades for
7 closing security bugs and adding necessary features without waiting for
8 compiles. I want the compiles to start at midnight or 4am, and be ready
9 for completed for me to accept or reject the newly built packages based
10 on my test suites.
11
12 All the servers run basically the same software so that administration
13 is consistent across machines, but hardware varies from pentium mmx's to
14 dual xeons. So apparently I should build a generic x86 stage1 or just
15 use a precompiled one, then build custom stage2/3s from it with spec
16 files that only differ by their CFLAGS, etc. I can build those on one
17 machine (I have a nice dual-xeon ready and waiting), then perform the
18 installs by setting up my fs's, booting to a floppy and wget -O -
19 http://build-box/stage3.subarch.tar.bz2 | tar -xjPps -C / ... or
20 something like that. But then I suppose I should use tinderboxes to
21 build upgrade binary packages so that I can install binary packages on
22 the slow machines and do all my building in one, very secure, place.
23
24 That's the scenario. Questions:
25
26 Where do I put all my custom use flags?
27 I specify use flags on a per-package basis most of the time, in
28 /etc/portage/packages.use. I also have to use custom masks, etc. to
29 install certain packages that I need. I can't tell when or how I'm
30 supposed to specify all those customizations. As far as I can tell, only
31 stuff that will eventually go in /etc/make.conf belongs in a catalyst
32 spec file. If I should just add the /etc/portage files after the stage1
33 is built, when and where do I put add them? In the stage1 image before
34 doing the stage2?
35
36 Should I really build my own stage1 or just use stage1s from gentoo mirrors?
37
38 What's the best way to perform upgrades and incorporate them into my
39 stage3 images?
40 Obviously I will want to build upgrade packages using tinderboxes with
41 package caching. I would use a separate package cache for each subarch.
42 Can I do an emerge -u style upgrade to a package in a tinderbox if the
43 stage3 for the tinderbox already has an old version of the package
44 installed? Will I need to uninstall the old version from the stage3
45 first? Would it be better to simply use package-caching and build a
46 whole new series of stages 1, 2, and 3 if I'm upgrading packages, then
47 install the binary packages on existing systems?
48
49 What's the best way to automate custom configurations of system files
50 (e.g. /etc/profile)?
51 Should I build my own ebuild or customize existing ebuilds using a
52 /usr/local/portage overlay?
53
54 I have more questions about using catalyst to automate server
55 maintenance as much as possible, but answers to some of the above
56 questions would help a lot.
57
58 Thanks,
59