From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] server maintenance w/ catalyst
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:43:42
1 On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 20:20 -0600, William Kilian wrote:
2 > Hello,
5 Welcome!
8 > All the servers run basically the same software so that administration
9 > is consistent across machines, but hardware varies from pentium mmx's to
10 > dual xeons. So apparently I should build a generic x86 stage1 or just
11 > use a precompiled one, then build custom stage2/3s from it with spec
12 > files that only differ by their CFLAGS, etc. I can build those on one
13 > machine (I have a nice dual-xeon ready and waiting), then perform the
14 > installs by setting up my fs's, booting to a floppy and wget -O -
15 > http://build-box/stage3.subarch.tar.bz2 | tar -xjPps -C / ... or
16 > something like that. But then I suppose I should use tinderboxes to
17 > build upgrade binary packages so that I can install binary packages on
18 > the slow machines and do all my building in one, very secure, place.
21 Sounds like a good plan, although there is really no need to build your
22 own stage1 (unless you are doing fun things like pie/ssp (hardened
23 stuff)). I assume that you are planning on using the tarballs solely for
24 installs, correct? The binary packages that you build can be installed
25 via Portage over an NFS share or something.
26
27 Instead of tinderboxes, consider using the "grp" target. Tinderboxes are
28 used more for building a set of packages and then logging the successes/
29 failures. The "grp" target will do exactly what you are looking for and
30 will organize all of the binary packages by profile type, arch, etc. Let
31 me know if you need help on how to setup a grp build.
32
33 > That's the scenario. Questions:
34 >
35 > Where do I put all my custom use flags?
36 > I specify use flags on a per-package basis most of the time, in
37 > /etc/portage/packages.use. I also have to use custom masks, etc. to
38 > install certain packages that I need. I can't tell when or how I'm
39 > supposed to specify all those customizations. As far as I can tell, only
40 > stuff that will eventually go in /etc/make.conf belongs in a catalyst
41 > spec file. If I should just add the /etc/portage files after the stage1
42 > is built, when and where do I put add them? In the stage1 image before
43 > doing the stage2?
46 Catalyst supports the configuration files in /etc/portage. Just add the
47 following to your spec file (works for any build target):
48
49 portage_confdir: /etc/portage
50
51 > Should I really build my own stage1 or just use stage1s from gentoo mirrors?
52
53 Answered above - just use the stage1 from the mirrors.
54
55 > What's the best way to perform upgrades and incorporate them into my
56 > stage3 images?
57 > Obviously I will want to build upgrade packages using tinderboxes with
58 > package caching.
59
60 Use GRP Luke!
61
62 > I would use a separate package cache for each subarch.
63
64 Catalyst does this automatically for you with GRP.
65
66 > Can I do an emerge -u style upgrade to a package in a tinderbox if the
67 > stage3 for the tinderbox already has an old version of the package
68 > installed? Will I need to uninstall the old version from the stage3
69 > first? Would it be better to simply use package-caching and build a
70 > whole new series of stages 1, 2, and 3 if I'm upgrading packages, then
71 > install the binary packages on existing systems?
74 To keep your GRP up-to-date, all that you will have to do is regenerate
75 your snapshot and rebuild the GRP set. Catalyst will take care of the
76 upgrades automatically by only rebuilding the packages that have been
77 upgraded.
78
79 > What's the best way to automate custom configurations of system files
80 > (e.g. /etc/profile)?
81 > Should I build my own ebuild or customize existing ebuilds using a
82 > /usr/local/portage overlay?
85 Hmm. At this time, an ebuild would probably be the easiest solution.
86
87 > I have more questions about using catalyst to automate server
88 > maintenance as much as possible, but answers to some of the above
89 > questions would help a lot.
92 Ask away :)
93
94 Cheers,
95 --
96 John Davis <zhen@g.o>
97 The Gentoo Foundation
98 Trustee | Release Engineering Manager | Catalyst code monkey
99
100 ---
101 "When people learn no tools of judgement and merely follow their hopes,
102 the seeds of political manipulation are sown"
103 - Stephen Jay Gould