From: William Kilian <will@×××.com>
To: john_davis@×××××××××××××××××××.com
Cc: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] server maintenance w/ catalyst
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 04:43:47
1 John Davis wrote:
2
3 >Sounds like a good plan, although there is really no need to build your
4 >own stage1 (unless you are doing fun things like pie/ssp (hardened
5 >stuff)).
6 >
7 Oh yeah, I am using hardened stuff... my stage2 wouldn't build from the
8 stage1-x86-2004.3, but I have my very own shiny new stages 1-3 now! =)
9
10 >Catalyst supports the configuration files in /etc/portage. Just add the
11 >following to your spec file (works for any build target):
12 >
13 >portage_confdir: /etc/portage
16 My grp build was failing because of packages masked by ~x86. The
17 packages are in my /etc/portage/packages.keywords, but changes to that
18 file were not making any difference.
19
20 Apparently portage_confdir cannot be a symlink. I was using a symlink to
21 my /etc/portage directory. When I renamed the symlink and cp -a
22 /etc/portage where-symlink-was, then the contents of the files started
23 to matter. If there is an argument that portage_confdir shouldn't be a
24 symlink, my response is that building multiple targets using identical
25 configuration info but different (sub)archs is a strong use-case
26 justifying a symlink.
27
28 That's all I have for now. I'm going to see how much my build server can
29 get done while I get some sleep.
30
31 Cheers,
32