From: Alex <sohalt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] xlivecd does not login automatically
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 09:09:04
1 Hi,
2
3 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 > On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 20:23 +0000, Alex wrote:
5 >> Additionally I found this in a example specfile (bundled with catalyst)
6 >> # If this is specified in your spec file, then the first user is also
7 >> the user
8 >> # used to start X.
9 >>
10 >> Maybe everybody can interpret it in his own way, but my interpretion was
11 >> that X gets automatically started by this user -> autologin
12 >
13 > It's out of date, actually.
14 >
15 > There was also a bug in catalyst that caused "xdm" to be added to the
16 > default runlevel for "generic-livecd" which was never how it was
17 > designed. Instead, the specific session was *supposed* to be started
18 > via "startx" as the user.
19
20 so I do not understand the sense livecd/xdm option. Does it only change
21 the variable in /etc/rc.conf?
24 >> But: dont you think it makes sense on a xlivecd to log the user
25 >> automatically in? just my opinion
26 >
27 > No.
28 >
29 > What if you have more than one user and don't want any to login?
30
31 Well, I just get irritated by the template-specfile. But if it would
32 automatically login by default, I would just keep the livecd/xdm option
33 blank in this case.
36 > What if you don't want a particular session to be the default and want
37 > the user to choose?
40 Just specify no xsession (that would by _my_ way)
41
42 >> I do not want to argue with you, but I can't imagine that anyone wants a
43 >> xlivecd to do not login automatically if there is a user.
44 >
45 > Ever seen a LiveCD created that required the use of a smart card to
46 > login? I have. ;]
47
48 See above ;) (btw: isn't such a livecd very specific?)
51 > Besides the examples I mentioned above (and I have lots more) there is
52 > also the issue of reducing flexibility. Again, we do lots of things
53 > automatically for the releases, because we have defined what a release
54 > is *supposed* to be like. Making those same assumptions for our users
55 > goes against the spirit of Gentoo and removes options from the users,
56 > where they belong.
59 I like the flexibility of gentoo and its sub-projects, without it I
60 probably wouldn't use it. I just get irritated by the comments in the
61 template-specfile, but you have said it is out of date, so I think this
62 is clarified (for me), except the sense of livecd/xdm and
63 livecd/xsession (I don't understand it).
64
65 Bye.
66 --
67 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list