From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] xlivecd does not login automatically
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 19:39:36
1 On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 20:23 +0000, Alex wrote:
2 > Additionally I found this in a example specfile (bundled with catalyst)
3 > # If this is specified in your spec file, then the first user is also
4 > the user
5 > # used to start X.
6 >
7 > Maybe everybody can interpret it in his own way, but my interpretion was
8 > that X gets automatically started by this user -> autologin
9
10 It's out of date, actually.
11
12 There was also a bug in catalyst that caused "xdm" to be added to the
13 default runlevel for "generic-livecd" which was never how it was
14 designed. Instead, the specific session was *supposed* to be started
15 via "startx" as the user.
16
17 > But: dont you think it makes sense on a xlivecd to log the user
18 > automatically in? just my opinion
19
20 No.
21
22 What if you have more than one user and don't want any to login?
23
24 What if you don't want a particular session to be the default and want
25 the user to choose?
26
27 > I do not want to argue with you, but I can't imagine that anyone wants a
28 > xlivecd to do not login automatically if there is a user.
29
30 Ever seen a LiveCD created that required the use of a smart card to
31 login? I have. ;]
32
33 Besides the examples I mentioned above (and I have lots more) there is
34 also the issue of reducing flexibility. Again, we do lots of things
35 automatically for the releases, because we have defined what a release
36 is *supposed* to be like. Making those same assumptions for our users
37 goes against the spirit of Gentoo and removes options from the users,
38 where they belong.
41 Chris Gianelloni
42 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
43 x86 Architecture Team