From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] xlivecd does not login automatically
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:42:01
1 On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 20:55 +0000, Alex wrote:
2 > Do you really think it is *my* job to "fix the problem"? I am just a
3
4 Yes, I do.
5
6 > simple user who had simply a simple question while you are the "Design
7 > lead". Additionally it would be more than just "a few minutes", because
8
9 Is putting something like "design lead" in quotes supposed to make it
10 derogatory or something?
11
12 > I can't speak python.
13
14 Great. All the functionality which you've asked about is implemented
15 solely in bash, as most of catalyst is bash.
16
17 > > Doing catalyst support for non-releases takes a significant enough
18 > > portion of my time that I sometimes wish we'd never bothered to make an
19 > > ebuild for it. ;]
22 > Why do you bother the time if it is too much for you? I don't understand
23 > that.
24
25 Good point. Perhaps I should refrain from posting any more updates to
26 catalyst for public consumption.
27
28 > I've thought if I have a question I can mail to this list and get some
29 > help from _users_. I didn't excepted that there's a very nice "Design
30 > lead" who answers with something like "what makes you think the CD
31 > *would* login automatically?", only if I had asked.
32
33 I'm really having a hard time following what you're saying here.
34
35 The only thing that I *do* understand is that somebody needs to get
36 their panties out of their crack. Did you miss the smiley at the end of
37 that question that you have decided to quote ad nauseum? Yeah, that
38 means it was a *joke* to be taken lightly.
39
40 > In the out-of-date template specfile there was some sentences I've read.
41 > And what makes you think the users *know* that the templates are
42 > out-of-date?
43
44 Did you even read what I said?
45
46 I said that the templates were *correct* and the code was wrong. How
47 did you know it was wrong? Well, you reported originally that it didn't
48 work as expected, so you *obviously* knew that it was wrong. Are you
49 saying that you were able to assert that it didn't work, but at the same
50 time didn't know that something was wrong?
51
52 > You had begin to argue, while it was just, not more, not less an answer
53 > to the "what makes you think the CD *would* login automatically?" Why
54 > should I bother time if I had only a question? It also would reduce the
55 > flexibility if I implement such a function. That was your argument.
56
57 That wasn't my "argument" at all. First off, I wasn't arguing anything,
58 I was making a statement. How you decided that this was some sort of
59 "argument" to be had, I really don't know.
60
61 You asked why it didn't auto-login, and I answered with a simple set of
62 statements of why. I thought it would be funny to start off with a joke
63 beforehand, which you blew totally out of proportion and then decided to
64 start responding with some sort of thinly-veiled "insult" by calling me
65 a "design lead" or something.
66
67 I really don't know what you're trying to accomplish here.
68
69 I was merely trying to point out why catalyst does what it does. I had
70 no desire to get into some sort of pissing match with someone who is way
71 too sensitive. Go back and re-read my emails. I am not trying to
72 insult you. I am trying to *help* you answer your questions.
73 Seriously. You need to just calm the hell down. I'm not *after* you or
74 anything. I'm simply trying to explain to you why things are they way
75 that they are.
76
77 Also, you'll notice that the broken behavior that you experienced in
78 catalyst has been changed in 2.0_rc50. Do you know *why* it was
79 changed? Because you had found a bug, and I fixed it. It really is
80 *that* simple.
81
82 > Maybe I should ignore such mails from you, if I except help from
83 > _users_. Maybe I should also ignore all the mails from you assigned to
84 > me for this thread. I don't know yet, but I'll see and you'll see.
85
86 Honestly, be my guest. In fact, I implore you to do so.
87
88 > I've to do better things than argue with you, and I hope you too.
89
90 How about stepping back and taking a nice breather? It's just software,
91 man. No need to get all pissy about it.
94 Chris Gianelloni
95 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
96 x86 Architecture Team
97 Games - Developer