From: Alex <sohalt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] xlivecd does not login automatically
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:26:39
1 Hi,
2
3 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 > On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 20:55 +0000, Alex wrote:
5 >> Do you really think it is *my* job to "fix the problem"? I am just a
6 >
7 > Yes, I do.
8 >
9 >> simple user who had simply a simple question while you are the "Design
10 >> lead". Additionally it would be more than just "a few minutes", because
11 >
12 > Is putting something like "design lead" in quotes supposed to make it
13 > derogatory or something?
16 So I have read it on catalyst's project page ;]
17
18 >> I can't speak python.
19 >
20 > Great. All the functionality which you've asked about is implemented
21 > solely in bash, as most of catalyst is bash.
24 Now I see, you are right. I've just stopped reading after I have seen
25 the "catalyst" file in the top directory.
26
27 >>> Doing catalyst support for non-releases takes a significant enough
28 >>> portion of my time that I sometimes wish we'd never bothered to make an
29 >>> ebuild for it. ;]
30 >>>
31 >> Why do you bother the time if it is too much for you? I don't understand
32 >> that.
33 >
34 > Good point. Perhaps I should refrain from posting any more updates to
35 > catalyst for public consumption.
36 >
37 >> I've thought if I have a question I can mail to this list and get some
38 >> help from _users_. I didn't excepted that there's a very nice "Design
39 >> lead" who answers with something like "what makes you think the CD
40 >> *would* login automatically?", only if I had asked.
41 >
42 > I'm really having a hard time following what you're saying here.
45 Me too.
46
47 > The only thing that I *do* understand is that somebody needs to get
48 > their panties out of their crack. Did you miss the smiley at the end of
49 > that question that you have decided to quote ad nauseum? Yeah, that
50 > means it was a *joke* to be taken lightly.
53 Ok, nice to know. I haven't interpreted it as joke. But that was not the
54 point on which I got pissed off.
55
56 >> In the out-of-date template specfile there was some sentences I've read.
57 >> And what makes you think the users *know* that the templates are
58 >> out-of-date?
59 >
60 > Did you even read what I said?
61
62 Yes I have.
65 > I said that the templates were *correct* and the code was wrong. How
66 > did you know it was wrong? Well, you reported originally that it didn't
67 > work as expected, so you *obviously* knew that it was wrong. Are you
68 > saying that you were able to assert that it didn't work, but at the same
69 > time didn't know that something was wrong?
70
71 I never had said something would be wrong. I've just excepted help.
72 Sorry if the topic was misleading.
75 >> You had begin to argue, while it was just, not more, not less an answer
76 >> to the "what makes you think the CD *would* login automatically?" Why
77 >> should I bother time if I had only a question? It also would reduce the
78 >> flexibility if I implement such a function. That was your argument.
79 >
80 > That wasn't my "argument" at all. First off, I wasn't arguing anything,
81 > I was making a statement. How you decided that this was some sort of
82 > "argument" to be had, I really don't know.
83 >
84 > You asked why it didn't auto-login, and I answered with a simple set of
85 I've never asked why it didn't auto-login. I have only written that it
86 does not auto-login, because I had excepted it.
87 > statements of why. I thought it would be funny to start off with a joke
88 > beforehand, which you blew totally out of proportion and then decided to
89 > start responding with some sort of thinly-veiled "insult" by calling me
90 > a "design lead" or something.
91
92 This shouldn't be an "insult" or something. It was just because you
93 excepted *me* to fix this, altough it wasn't a bug (I think). I got
94 irritated. such easy
97 > I really don't know what you're trying to accomplish here.
98
99 Nothing. Actually. I just get pissed off by your _last_ mail (not this,
100 I am answering now, but this before)
103 > I was merely trying to point out why catalyst does what it does. I had
104 > no desire to get into some sort of pissing match with someone who is way
105 > too sensitive. Go back and re-read my emails. I am not trying to
106 > insult you. I am trying to *help* you answer your questions.
107 > Seriously. You need to just calm the hell down. I'm not *after* you or
108 > anything. I'm simply trying to explain to you why things are they way
109 > that they are.
110
111 Yes, but between your lines I've found a begin of an argue, but may an
112 interpretation failure. I just don't understand your last mail.
115 > Also, you'll notice that the broken behavior that you experienced in
116 > catalyst has been changed in 2.0_rc50. Do you know *why* it was
117 > changed? Because you had found a bug, and I fixed it. It really is
118 > *that* simple.
119
120 You said the code was wrong. does it mean it does now auto-login? (or is
121 it an interpretation failure again?)
124 >> Maybe I should ignore such mails from you, if I except help from
125 >> _users_. Maybe I should also ignore all the mails from you assigned to
126 >> me for this thread. I don't know yet, but I'll see and you'll see.
127 >
128 > Honestly, be my guest. In fact, I implore you to do so.
129
130 Ok, nice that we could clarified this.
133 >> I've to do better things than argue with you, and I hope you too.
134 >
135 > How about stepping back and taking a nice breather? It's just software,
136 > man. No need to get all pissy about it.
139 It seems to was (can I say this so (with the grammar I mean)) just some
140 interpretation-failures on both sides. sorry
141
142 bye.
143 --
144 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list