From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Catalyst vs Knoppix Confusion
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:45:34
1 On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 12:15 -0800, C S wrote:
2 > I'm so close to dumping my Fedora... and have spent
3 > literally hours looking at Catalyst and Gentoo
4 > Live-CD's and their threads.
5 >
6 > This is what I want. A remasterable "Knoppix like" CD
7 > for which I can build my own CD distro. I've loaded
8 > 2004.3 and 2005.0 just to discover each a
9 > "Installation like" CD. I DO NOT WANT AN INSTALLATION
10 > LIVE-CD. How do I make this leap with Gentoo? From
11 > my surfin it looks like Catalyst should handle it.
12
13 Catalyst does not do this very well, at the moment. It was never
14 designed to do such a thing. All of the previous Gentoo releases were
15 *called* a LiveCD, but they were really an installation CD. That is
16 what catalyst is designed to build and it catalyst's primary function.
17
18 > There's a lot of threads on this... yet kindof
19 > inconclusive. The best hack I've found if I can't
20 > make Catalyst work is:
21 >
22 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=244837&highlight=catalyst
23 >
24 > I prefer the "official" method, but what is it? Can
25 > anyone point me to the best Catalyst or Non-Catalyst
26 > Howto for such Gentoo Live-CD's? I'll even write it!
27
28 There is no official method for doing what you want. To be truthful,
29 Knoppix would be your best bet if you're continuing down this path, at
30 least for the near future.
31
32 I am working to extend catalyst to do a lot more, but it is slow work
33 and features are added more as I need them for the releases then as
34 people request them. No offense to anyone, but catalyst is the Gentoo
35 release building tool, and features required for the Gentoo releases
36 come first and foremost. Feature requests for non-release items come in
37 dead last behind bug fixes and release feature requests.
40 Chris Gianelloni
42 Games - Developer
43 Gentoo Linux