From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] LiveCD Stage 2 Question
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:55:16
1 On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 14:12 -0600, Artanin wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I am working on setting up a custom livecd. Right now I am just trying
5 > to get the image to build correctly for the first time. Right now I am
6 > working on the livecd-stage2, and I am getting an error with genkernel.
7 > I have pulled the config file for the kernel off a running 2005.0 livecd
8 > (/proc/config.gz > ftp'ed), and working with the 2005.0 templates. I am
9
10 emerge livecd-kconfigs livecd-specs
11
12 > working out of a /catalyst directory, so all included spec files are
13 > working off that assumption. I have so far had to edit the stage1 fstab
14 > to remove an error about not being able to mount /boot, as well as had
15 > to add "sys-kernel/gentoo-sources" to package.keywords and
16 > package.unmask. I also have to run catalyst with 'ARCH="x86" catalyst
17 > -f blah.spec' or I get an error saying that ARCH is undefined.
18
19 If you're having these problems, then you have much bigger problems that
20 need to be addressed before we will ever be able to troubleshoot
21 anything else. I would suggest starting from the specs/kconfigs above,
22 as they are the 2005.0 versions used to build the release.
23
24 > Included with this is my stage1 and stage2 specs, the last log of
25 > catalyst stage 2 build, and the kernel config I pulled. Any help would
26
27 Yeah, I pretty much didn't read this because of all that extra garbage
28 that was luckily stripped by my mail server. Please don't attach this
29 sort of thing in the future to a mailing list unless it is asked for, it
30 is not only rude to anyone on dial-up that has to wait for the enormous
31 email to download, but it also uses up significant resources on Gentoo's
32 mail server to process.
33
34 > be much appreciated. This work is being done on behalf of a nonprofit
35 > project that requires a type of re imaging capability and we do not have
36 > money to buy ghost proper, so we are going to be creative and simulate
37 > it. Right now I need to be able to get a default livecd working before
38 > I can put my overlays onto of it. I am familiar with Linux, just have
39 > never tried to build a LiveCD before.
40
41 Well, starting from the "official" specs will definitely get you going
42 in the right direction. Hopefully you can also solve your problems with
43 things being masked, which will more than likely just require an update
44 to your snapshot to something made after the 2005.0 release.
47 Chris Gianelloni
49 Games - Developer
50 Gentoo Linux