From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] LiveCD UNIONFS overlay
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 19:24:20
1 On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 21:05 +0200, Georg Lippold wrote:
2 > If in /usr/share/genkernel/generic/initrd.scripts the function parse_opt
3 > is changed with the corresponding | as delimiter, then one wouldn't have
4 > to change anything else. It would look like this:
5 >
6 > parse_opt() {
7 > case "$1" in
8 > *\|*)
9 > local key_name="`echo "$1" | cut -f1 -d\|`"
10 > local key_len=`strlen key_name`
11 > local value_start=$((key_len+2))
12 > echo "$1" | cut -c ${value_start}-
13 > ;;
14 > esac
15 > }
18 > What is your opinion on this?
19
20 We don't support UnionFS in any way and don't have plans on doing so for
21 some time. We also do not want to break compatibility in genkernel
22 mid-release, as this caused us quite enough headaches between 2005.0 and
23 2005.1's releases.
24
25 To put it simply, the UnionFS support in genkernel is known to be broken
26 and not working well, which is why we have removed the --unionfs option
27 from genkernel. It is so low on our priority list, that we're
28 definitely saying that we'll get to it "when we have time" and I can
29 tell you that I, personally, won't have time for months.
30
31 Remember that genkernel and catalyst *are* two separate projects, and
32 genkernel must maintain usability. We can't use a pipe to delimit
33 things, as that could be interpreted by the shell.
34
35 Currently, all of our limited attention is focused on resolving bugs,
36 and working towards releasing catalyst 2.0 to the world. I'd almost
37 expect a feature freeze on genkernel for some time, as we work to
38 stabilize the codebase.
41 Chris Gianelloni
43 Games - Developer
44 Gentoo Linux