From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] catalyst + uml
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:28:48
1 On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 17:04 -0400, Victor Condino wrote:
2 > Also, I was wondering how realistic it is to replace bash, grep, sed,
3 > awk, tail, procps, psutil, etc. with busybox. I know that the
4 > initscripts in baselayout rely on these various text- and shell-utils
5 > and obviously on bash... is it possible to get them to run using busybox
6 > and its builtin applets? if so that would cut down on the root-fs size
7 > and complexity, not to mention my build time, by alot.
8
9 The embedded stuff uses baselayout-lite, I believe. Otherwise,
10 replacing the baselayout stuff will be a serious pain and will probably
11 take you quite a few man-hours.
12
13 > I know catalyst is designed to do this sort of thing, and from what I
14 > gather, the embedded target, although meant for real (as in hw) embedded
15 > systems, is pretty close to what I need, but when it comes to python, i
16 > know very little, so examining the source in /usr/lib/catalyst/modules/
17 > hasn't been too helpful. Which target is closest to what I'm looking
18 > for, and if the embedded target is it, where can I find some good info
19 > and an example .spec for it? I found this link:
20 > [http://dev.gentoo.org/~mutex/catalyst-doc], but at the end there's
21 > nothing after the line, "Links to sample spec files:" ;)
22
23 I would think it would be the embedded target. Very little work has
24 really been done in this area by me, so I couldn't tell you how it
25 works.
26
27 > I'm willing to take the plunge and learn python if nescessary to do some
28 > hacking on one of the existing target modules to get it to do what i
29 > need. Basically just wondering if anyone else is interested in automated
30 > building of this kind of system, and if anyone can suggest where to
31 > start and what might need to be done in order to get catalyst to do
32 > this. I don't mean to pester the developers; this is not intended as a
33 > "feature request" or a "how do I ..." help-desk call ;)
34
35 I'm sure rocket will pipe in once I quit harassing him for changes for
36 the release. He's been poking around with both UML and Xen, so he would
37 probably be one of the best resources on this.
40 Chris Gianelloni
42 Games - Developer
43 Gentoo Linux