From: Eric Edgar <rocket@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] catalyst + uml
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:51:27
1 I am in the process of trying to develop something along these lines. I
2 havent gotten very far because I am trying to develop a list of features
3 to be implemented. In the near term the busybox discussion that you are
4 mentioning wont be implemented. There is too much work to get a usable
5 system based on that. I know for a fact that much of the regular
6 expression stuff will break because of that. Who knows how much else
7 will be broken.
8
9 For what you are doing however you could use cow files to make things
10 more secure. If you feel you have been hacked you can stop the instance
11 and remove the cow file and restart and you are back to the point when
12 you first started the instance. I am not sure if this is what you are
13 after but it could help.
14
15 Basically what is left to add to catalyst is a new target that will take
16 a seed stage and copy it into a loop back filesystem. COde needs to be
17 added to choose the size and name of the initial backing file. What
18 type of filesystem should be formatted to it etc. Most of the other
19 heavy lifting is already in place.
20
21 When catalyst 2 comes out you can take the stage4 target which makes it
22 possible to make a system that is stored in a tarball and take some
23 scripts and migrate it into the uml loop back files. This may be what
24 you are looking for. Otherwise at somepoint catalyst may have these
25 features built in but it depends on the time constraints.
26
27 I hope this helps.
28 Rocket
29