From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Migrating man page to asciidoc?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 04:57:34
1 On 06/26/2011 06:33 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > That's correct, everything has to be in the repository if you use it.
3 > The advantage of doing it that way is that anyone can come along
4 > whenever they want to and generate a tarball that exactly matches the
5 > one we generate at release time. Doing it the other way, they can't.
6
7 Frankly, I don't care about that feature. I care about content and Git
8 tags that lead to content.
11 >> Alright. On the other hand without dependencies you get nowhere: either
12 >> you don#t have features or you build every wheel yourself.
13 >
14 > I'm not quite sure what you mean here.
15
16 I was trying to say that you get quite something for the cost you put
17 into dependencies. You save re-writing things yourself and you get more
18 features for free. That's what the cost is for.
21 >> Plus Asciidoc syntax is more readable.
22 >
23 > You can use man ./catalyst.1 to read the man page.
24
25 Are you serious? I want syntax to be readable while editing, not after
26 pre-processing. With that argument we could be writing man pages in
27 assembly.
31 >> - Man page keeps itself in sync on
32 >>
33 >> - list of subarches
34 >>
35 >> - version of catalyst
36 >>
37 >> - Option to make XHTML from the same source
38 >
39 > The cons of the new approach, as I see it, are:
40 >
41 > * auto generated content in tarballs makes it impossible to create the
42 > exact same tarball twice.
43
44 Again, i don't care.
47 > * Now we need to have a build time dependency, at least for the live
48 > ebuild, which pulls in about 34mb of downloads just to build the man
49 > page.
50 >
51 > Since we are just talking about a man page, imho this is a lot of bloat
52 > for very little gain.
53
54 I disagree on bloat and on little gain.
55
56 If you insist on changing status quo I would like to call in a vote.
57
58 Best,
62 Sebastian