From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Migrating man page to asciidoc?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 15:45:38
1 On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> wrote:
2 >> * Now we need to have a build time dependency, at least for the live
3 >> ebuild, which pulls in about 34mb of downloads just to build the man
4 >> page.
5 >>
6 >> Since we are just talking about a man page, imho this is a lot of bloat
7 >> for very little gain.
8 >
9 > I disagree on bloat and on little gain.
10 >
11 > If you insist on changing status quo I would like to call in a vote.
12
13 Well, in fairness, the asciidoc dependency was just added a day or so ago.
14
15 But, I really don't think it's as big a problem as this long email
16 thread warrants. We simply want to avoid asciidoc, and specifically
17 it's dependencies, for catalyst snapshots. For the live ebuild, I
18 don't see the dependencies as a problem.
19
20 Can't we simply get the timestamp of the last commit to the git
21 branch/tag that we're making an archive from and apply it to the
22 generated content? Doing this would allow us to reproduce an identical
23 tarball, and avoids a lot of other problems discussed in this thread.
24
25 Thanks,
26 Matt