From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Migrating man page to asciidoc?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:40:12
1 On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 11:44:55AM -0400, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> wrote:
3 > >> * Now we need to have a build time dependency, at least for the live
4 > >> ebuild, which pulls in about 34mb of downloads just to build the man
5 > >> page.
6 > >>
7 > >> Since we are just talking about a man page, imho this is a lot of bloat
8 > >> for very little gain.
9 > >
10 > > I disagree on bloat and on little gain.
11 > >
12 > > If you insist on changing status quo I would like to call in a vote.
13 >
14 > Well, in fairness, the asciidoc dependency was just added a day or so ago.
15
16 Yes, it was added a couple of days ago, without giving a reasonable
17 amount of time for discussion.
18
19 I'll post the links to the rfc [1], the approval message [2] and the
20 message where the change was checked in [3] below. Notice that this all
21 happened within a period less than 24 hours.
22
23 For a significant change like this, I
24 think we should give 24-48 hours and make the patch visible somewhere so
25 that others can look at the change and comment on it before it gets
26 checked in. Remember that we have people here in multiple time zones,
27 and we don't necessarily check these lists every day.
28
29 Based on this as well as my previous objections I would like to see this
30 change reverted.
31
32 William
33