From: Paul Smith <psmith@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] C++ programs
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 01:13:27
1 Hm. I installed a C++ program on the livecd, but it fails to
2 run because it's missing libstdc++.
3
4 Checking I see that on Gentoo, that library appears to live in the gcc
5 package. The livecd unmerges the gcc package, so at runtime that
6 library no longer exists.
7
8 I understand that this library is tied very closely with the compiler,
9 but it seems incorrect to me that if you don't have the compiler package
10 installed on your system, all your C++ programs fail to start! In
11 Debian for example this library is distributed as a separate package.
14 How do others manage this? Do you unmerge it but copy that library to
15 /lib by hand? Leave it merged but use livecd/empty and livecd/rm to
16 clean out the stuff you don't want? Leave the whole package merged and
17 not worry about the wasted space? ... or ... ?
18
19 Hm, I see there's a sys-libs/libstdc++, but it's masked... is merging
20 that package how this issue is normally handled?
23 Cheers!
27 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
28 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
30 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
31 --
32 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list