From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] C++ programs
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 13:02:03
1 On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 21:13 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
2 > Hm. I installed a C++ program on the livecd, but it fails to
3 > run because it's missing libstdc++.
4 >
5 > Checking I see that on Gentoo, that library appears to live in the gcc
6 > package. The livecd unmerges the gcc package, so at runtime that
7 > library no longer exists.
8 >
9 > I understand that this library is tied very closely with the compiler,
10 > but it seems incorrect to me that if you don't have the compiler package
11 > installed on your system, all your C++ programs fail to start! In
12 > Debian for example this library is distributed as a separate package.
15 > How do others manage this? Do you unmerge it but copy that library to
16 > /lib by hand? Leave it merged but use livecd/empty and livecd/rm to
17 > clean out the stuff you don't want? Leave the whole package merged and
18 > not worry about the wasted space? ... or ... ?
19 >
20 > Hm, I see there's a sys-libs/libstdc++, but it's masked... is merging
21 > that package how this issue is normally handled?
22
23 I unmask the package and merge it.
24
25 This works perfectly for ut2004, fluxbox, and americas-army ebuilds, all
26 which require libstdc++ to function.
29 Chris Gianelloni
31 Games - Developer
32 Gentoo Linux