From: Georg Lippold <georg.lippold@×××.de>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Initrd overlay for gentoo.igz
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 06:30:58
1 Hi Eliot,
2
3 just use
4
5 livecd/root_overlay: /path
6
7 in your livecd-stage2.spec
8
9 In /path, there is this structure
10
11 > find . -print
12 >
13 > ./etc
14 > ./etc/init.d
15 > ./etc/init.d/somescript
16
17 The whole gentoo.igz is just the kernel ramdisk, that is discarded after
18 the filesystem from the CD is mounted. Your other modified files can go
19 into that directory, too. They are copied over stage2 before it gets
20 compressed.
21
22 Greetings,
23
24 Georg
25
26 Eliot Gable wrote:
27 > I am new to the whole "live cd" thing, so please bear with me here.
28 >
29 > I am trying to add a file to the /etc/init.d/ directory that exists *after*
30 > the entire Gentoo live cd boots up. I have figured out that the /etc/init.d
31 > directory in the ISO image on the CD is a base environment of some sorts,
32 > and that the gentoo.igz file in the isolinux directory on the CD contains
33 > the real set of files that exist in the /etc/init.d directory once the
34 > entire CD finishes booting. I have created a folder to hold my overlay
35 > files. This folder looks like so:
38 > Now, I try to create an overlay like so:
39 >
40 > find . -print | cpio --quiet -o -H newc | gzip -9 > ../gentoo.igz.new
41 > cd ..
42 > cat gentoo.igz.old gentoo.igz.new > gentoo.igz
43 > cp gentoo.igz newcd/isolinux/
44 > cd newcd
45 > mkisofs -o ../gentoo.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat
46 > -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -iso-level 2 -boot-info-table .
47 > cdrecord -blank=fast dev=/dev/hdc ../gentoo.iso
48 >
49 > The thing is, the resultant CD will boot just fine. However, the file does
50 > not show up in the /etc/init.d/ directory after the CD finishes booting. I'm
51 > trying to do this without having to build an entirely new live cd using the
52 > catalyst utilities. All I want to do is add a single file (maybe two) to the
53 > /etc/init.d directory, and maybe modify one of the existing files.
54 >
55 > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
56 >
57 > -Eliot Gable
60 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list