From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Livecd License
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:49:32
1 On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 07:36 -0500, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Luca Casagrande wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hi to all!
5 > >
6 > > My livecd, will be used during a postgresql meeting to show some
7 > > application.
8 > >
9 > > Organizing team, has asked me for the media's license; i told him that
10 > > each application has got a own license and the full work
11 > > can be release in gpl3.
12 > >
13 > > Am I correct?
14 >
15 > I doubt it. We can't really give you that answer as we have no idea what
16 > packages you are using on the LiveCD. You need to do the legwork of figuring out
17 > which license each package uses and if said license can be "transferred" to GPLv3.
18
19 You can release the work as a compilation under a license of your
20 choosing, so long as all the components that make up your work are
21 licensed under a similar and compatible license. As an example, if you
22 used a package that was under, for example, the ut2003 license, then you
23 could not license under any GPL-compatible license since you would be
24 unable to provide the source code for ut2003/4.
27 Chris Gianelloni
28 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
29 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
30 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
31 Gentoo Foundation