From: Eric Edgar <rocket@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Test Request: Catalyst 2.0_pre20051111
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:16:35
1 You may want to also enable
2 seedcache
3 snapcache
4 autoresume
5
6 Eric
9 On 19:13 Fri 11 Nov , Eric Edgar wrote:
10 > kerncache should be fixed now
11 > Eric
12 >
13 > On 12:50 Fri 11 Nov , Kessler, Paul wrote:
14 > > Ok so this isn't a bug but in the livecd-stage2 template example the livecd/linuxrc section is duplicated. Also thanks for adding the options in the stage 2 for configuring the X session and display manager. That eliminates two lines from my fsscript. Just wondering but has kerncache been fixed? Going to start the first build now.
15 > >
16 > > Paul
17 > >
18 > > ________________________________
19 > >
20 > > From: Chris Gianelloni [mailto:wolf31o2@g.o]
21 > > Sent: Fri 11/11/2005 10:17 AM
22 > > To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
23 > > Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
24 > > Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Test Request: Catalyst 2.0_pre20051111
28 > > As you can probably guess by the subject, I've added
29 > > catalyst-2.0_pre20051111 to the tree. I plan on finalizing catalyst 2.0
30 > > by the end of the month, so I really need testers for this. If you have
31 > > questions about this release, feel free to ask them on gentoo-catalyst.
32 > > For bugs, please files bugs.
33 > >
34 > > To install it, you will need to do the following (on x86):
35 > >
36 > > mkdir -p /etc/portage
37 > > echo "dev-util/catalyst" >> /etc/portage/package.unmask
38 > > echo "dev-util/catalyst ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
39 > > USE="doc" emerge catalyst
40 > >
41 > > Please use USE="doc" to get the updated example spec templates. The
42 > > livecd-specs package has not been updated for catalyst 2.0, so there's
43 > > no need for USE="examples" unless you're unfamiliar with catalyst.
44 > >
45 > > This is slotted to run along-side catalyst 1.x, so it shouldn't break
46 > > anybody's machines. Once catalyst 2.0 goes final, it will no longer be
47 > > slotted, as we are completely superseding catalyst 1.x with catalyst
48 > > 2.0.
49 > >
50 > > The main differences in your spec files are all going to be in
51 > > livecd-stage2:
52 > >
53 > > livecd/cdfstype -> livecd/fstype
54 > > livecd/archscript (removed)
55 > > livecd/runscript (removed)
56 > >
57 > > Everything else *should* be the same. There's also a ton of new options
58 > > for caching, so catalyst 2.0 runs should be dramatically faster for
59 > > repeated runs. We're planning on using this for 2006.0, so we want it
60 > > bug-fixed and stabilized by no later than the end of the year. Please
61 > > test this release.
62 > >
63 > > This release also brings about the addition of the "stage4" target. A
64 > > stage4 is essentially livecd-stage1 + livecd-stage2, rolled into a
65 > > tarball, rather than an ISO. This allows you to deploy a pre-configured
66 > > (yay fsscript!) tarball out to multiple machines, install the
67 > > bootloader, and reboot. While I we are interested in bug reports on the
68 > > stage4 target, I ask you to focus time on the "classic" targets: stages
69 > > 1 through 3, and livecd-stages 1 and 2, as we will be using these on the
70 > > next release.
71 > >
72 > > Thanks again,
73 > >
74 > > --
75 > > Chris Gianelloni
76 > > Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
77 > > x86 Architecture Team
78 > > Games - Developer
79 > > Gentoo Linux