From: Eric Edgar <rocket@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Test Request: Catalyst 2.0_pre20051111
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:13:29
1 kerncache should be fixed now
2 Eric
3
4 On 12:50 Fri 11 Nov , Kessler, Paul wrote:
5 > Ok so this isn't a bug but in the livecd-stage2 template example the livecd/linuxrc section is duplicated. Also thanks for adding the options in the stage 2 for configuring the X session and display manager. That eliminates two lines from my fsscript. Just wondering but has kerncache been fixed? Going to start the first build now.
6 >
7 > Paul
8 >
9 > ________________________________
10 >
11 > From: Chris Gianelloni [mailto:wolf31o2@g.o]
12 > Sent: Fri 11/11/2005 10:17 AM
13 > To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
14 > Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
15 > Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Test Request: Catalyst 2.0_pre20051111
19 > As you can probably guess by the subject, I've added
20 > catalyst-2.0_pre20051111 to the tree. I plan on finalizing catalyst 2.0
21 > by the end of the month, so I really need testers for this. If you have
22 > questions about this release, feel free to ask them on gentoo-catalyst.
23 > For bugs, please files bugs.
24 >
25 > To install it, you will need to do the following (on x86):
26 >
27 > mkdir -p /etc/portage
28 > echo "dev-util/catalyst" >> /etc/portage/package.unmask
29 > echo "dev-util/catalyst ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
30 > USE="doc" emerge catalyst
31 >
32 > Please use USE="doc" to get the updated example spec templates. The
33 > livecd-specs package has not been updated for catalyst 2.0, so there's
34 > no need for USE="examples" unless you're unfamiliar with catalyst.
35 >
36 > This is slotted to run along-side catalyst 1.x, so it shouldn't break
37 > anybody's machines. Once catalyst 2.0 goes final, it will no longer be
38 > slotted, as we are completely superseding catalyst 1.x with catalyst
39 > 2.0.
40 >
41 > The main differences in your spec files are all going to be in
42 > livecd-stage2:
43 >
44 > livecd/cdfstype -> livecd/fstype
45 > livecd/archscript (removed)
46 > livecd/runscript (removed)
47 >
48 > Everything else *should* be the same. There's also a ton of new options
49 > for caching, so catalyst 2.0 runs should be dramatically faster for
50 > repeated runs. We're planning on using this for 2006.0, so we want it
51 > bug-fixed and stabilized by no later than the end of the year. Please
52 > test this release.
53 >
54 > This release also brings about the addition of the "stage4" target. A
55 > stage4 is essentially livecd-stage1 + livecd-stage2, rolled into a
56 > tarball, rather than an ISO. This allows you to deploy a pre-configured
57 > (yay fsscript!) tarball out to multiple machines, install the
58 > bootloader, and reboot. While I we are interested in bug reports on the
59 > stage4 target, I ask you to focus time on the "classic" targets: stages
60 > 1 through 3, and livecd-stages 1 and 2, as we will be using these on the
61 > next release.
62 >
63 > Thanks again,
64 >
65 > --
66 > Chris Gianelloni
67 > Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
68 > x86 Architecture Team
69 > Games - Developer
70 > Gentoo Linux