From: "Kessler
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-catalyst] Test Request: Catalyst 2.0_pre20051111
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:50:08
1 Ok so this isn't a bug but in the livecd-stage2 template example the livecd/linuxrc section is duplicated. Also thanks for adding the options in the stage 2 for configuring the X session and display manager. That eliminates two lines from my fsscript. Just wondering but has kerncache been fixed? Going to start the first build now.
2
3 Paul
4
5 ________________________________
6
7 From: Chris Gianelloni [mailto:wolf31o2@g.o]
8 Sent: Fri 11/11/2005 10:17 AM
9 To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
10 Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
11 Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Test Request: Catalyst 2.0_pre20051111
15 As you can probably guess by the subject, I've added
16 catalyst-2.0_pre20051111 to the tree. I plan on finalizing catalyst 2.0
17 by the end of the month, so I really need testers for this. If you have
18 questions about this release, feel free to ask them on gentoo-catalyst.
19 For bugs, please files bugs.
20
21 To install it, you will need to do the following (on x86):
22
23 mkdir -p /etc/portage
24 echo "dev-util/catalyst" >> /etc/portage/package.unmask
25 echo "dev-util/catalyst ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
26 USE="doc" emerge catalyst
27
28 Please use USE="doc" to get the updated example spec templates. The
29 livecd-specs package has not been updated for catalyst 2.0, so there's
30 no need for USE="examples" unless you're unfamiliar with catalyst.
31
32 This is slotted to run along-side catalyst 1.x, so it shouldn't break
33 anybody's machines. Once catalyst 2.0 goes final, it will no longer be
34 slotted, as we are completely superseding catalyst 1.x with catalyst
35 2.0.
36
37 The main differences in your spec files are all going to be in
38 livecd-stage2:
39
40 livecd/cdfstype -> livecd/fstype
41 livecd/archscript (removed)
42 livecd/runscript (removed)
43
44 Everything else *should* be the same. There's also a ton of new options
45 for caching, so catalyst 2.0 runs should be dramatically faster for
46 repeated runs. We're planning on using this for 2006.0, so we want it
47 bug-fixed and stabilized by no later than the end of the year. Please
48 test this release.
49
50 This release also brings about the addition of the "stage4" target. A
51 stage4 is essentially livecd-stage1 + livecd-stage2, rolled into a
52 tarball, rather than an ISO. This allows you to deploy a pre-configured
53 (yay fsscript!) tarball out to multiple machines, install the
54 bootloader, and reboot. While I we are interested in bug reports on the
55 stage4 target, I ask you to focus time on the "classic" targets: stages
56 1 through 3, and livecd-stages 1 and 2, as we will be using these on the
57 next release.
58
59 Thanks again,
62 Chris Gianelloni