From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Q about portdir_overlay in Catalyst
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 20:31:47
1 On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 16:15 -0400, Louis-Michel Gelinas wrote:
2 > But catalyst just overwrites the categories file with the new one, so now,
3 > only the packages in my catagories work ( and even then they depend on stuff
4 > in regular categories, so emerging fails.)
5
6 Yes, this is an overlay just like livecd/overlay or livecd/root_overlay
7 does when used for the snapshot target. Remember that a snapshot can't
8 have an external overlay. It simply builds a single portage tree.
9
10 > I have not found a proper fix to this, I just added all the regular categories
11 > to the categories file of the overlay... I guess it would be an easy patch to
12 > write in catalyst...
13
14 Don't use portdir_overlay when building your snapshot, but use it for
15 all of your other targets.
16
17 > But, I think the clean way would be to copy the overlay to some other place on
18 > the filesystem and tell portage about it and let it deal with it. Fiddling in
19 > catalyst is only error prone and will never be really in sync with overlay
20 > features in portage.
21
22 This is definitely *not* the way to do it when building a snapshot. As
23 I said to Paul, the snapshot target has exactly one purpose, to create a
24 usable portage snapshot tarball. If you introduce things into the
25 tarball that breaks portage, it isn't catalyst's fault. If you want
26 "normal" overlay usage, as done normally by portage, then simply use
27 portdir_overlay in any target other than the snapshot target.
30 Chris Gianelloni
32 Games - Developer
33 Gentoo Linux