From: Louis-Michel Gelinas <gello@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Q about portdir_overlay in Catalyst
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 20:15:47
1 On May 25, 2005 04:01 pm, Paul Smith wrote:
2 > I had a problem with the portdir_overlay option in the snapshot section.
3 >
4 > What it appears to be doing today is merely copying in the contents of
5 > the overlay directory on top of the existing Portage directory
6 > structure. I'm certainly no Portage expert, but I don't think that's
7 > how the $PORTDIR_OVERLAY setting in Portage works, is it? I think if
8 > Portage finds a directory in $PORTDIR_OVERLAY it takes those contents
9 > and ignores any contents from the "normal" /usr/portage... doesn't it?
12 I had a similar problem, I added categories to my overlay. Portage itself did
13 not like that, so I wrote a patch that _adds_ the content of the new
14 categories file to the already existing categories. Portage has this feature
15 now.
16
17 But catalyst just overwrites the categories file with the new one, so now,
18 only the packages in my catagories work ( and even then they depend on stuff
19 in regular categories, so emerging fails.)
20
21 I have not found a proper fix to this, I just added all the regular categories
22 to the categories file of the overlay... I guess it would be an easy patch to
23 write in catalyst...
24
25 But, I think the clean way would be to copy the overlay to some other place on
26 the filesystem and tell portage about it and let it deal with it. Fiddling in
27 catalyst is only error prone and will never be really in sync with overlay
28 features in portage.
29
30 My thoughts...
31
32 Louis-Michel Gelinas
35 > I fixed this by copying all the original files into my overlay, but it
36 > seems to me that Catalyst should not just copy the overlay files: it
37 > should remove the existing directory (e.g.,
38 > ...usr/portage/dev-python/quixote) first, then copy in the overlay
39 > version.
40 >
41 > Thoughts on this?
42 >
43 > --
45 >---- Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××.com> HASMAT: HA Software Mthds &
46 > Tools "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad
47 > Scientist
49 >---- These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for
50 > them.
51 --