From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] run without root?
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 19:36:13
1 Well, it was more of a theoretical "sure". And anyway, you seem to have missed
2 the "can chroot" part of my reply. Normal users cannot chroot under "normal"
3 setups. Also, your user would need to be able to create arbitrary bind mounts.
4
5 Currently, the check that generates that error just checks the current UID and
6 bombs if it's anything other than 0 (root). I'm sure if somebody (how about
7 you?) contributed code to query the kernel for certain abilities (like
8 chrooting), the catalyst developers would be more than happy to add it in to
9 allow non-root catalyst use where the user has the necessary abilities.
10
11 Caleb Cushing wrote:
12 > I had access to what I think are all the files and directories needed.
13 > I put everything in custom locations. that I could write to. but
14 > catalyst complained I needed to be root. and it was catalyst not a
15 > permission error.
16 >
17 > !!! catalyst: This script requires root privileges to operate
18 >