From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Req: non-standard lcd displays
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:54:18
1 Pongracz Istvan wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I use catalyst to create customized livecd-s with preinstalled X,
5 > database and web servers to demonstrate open source applications to the
6 > public, usually non-technical people.
7 >
8 > Some of them use laptops and/or non standard LCD displays (1280x800,
9 > 1400x900 etc.).
10 >
11 > AFAIK catalyst uses the x11-misc/mkxf86config tool to detect and setup
12 > the X.
13
14 Catalyst doesn't use anything. You are specifying mkxf86config in your spec, and
15 it's getting run automatically by autoconfig (part of livecd-tools). You are
16 free to use something else.
17
18 > The main problem is, it cannot setup the dimension properly and the
19 > display shows an ugly, stretched image, which is not really looks good
20 > on a presentation.
21 >
22 > Example: the X uses 1024x768 on a 1280x800 display.
23 > The result is a working, but ugly X.
24 >
25 > My question, is that possible to improve it?
26
27 Do you have a patch?
28
29 > I read that, the author of mkxf86 knows this issue and he/she is open to
30 > improve it, but I do not know his mail :)
31 > He wrote, this is hard-wired to make it cross-compatible.
32 >
33 > Anyway, what about that to look into ubuntu/mandriva, how they solved
34 > this issue?
35 > I know, for example the i915 chipset has a problem, which needs a bios
36 > patch to get it work (it is a crap, I have this on my laptop).
37 >
38 > I'm pretty sure, this is not a trivial task, but it would be really
39 > good :)
40
41 If you're building this CD for a specific computer, use livecd/root_overlay to
42 put a custom pre-made xorg.conf on the CD and remove mkxf86config from the
43 package list. This will "solve" your problem.
46 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
47 Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator
48 --
49 gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o mailing list