From: Pongracz Istvan <pongracz.istvan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] Req: non-standard lcd displays
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:49:52
1 Hi,
2
3 I use catalyst to create customized livecd-s with preinstalled X,
4 database and web servers to demonstrate open source applications to the
5 public, usually non-technical people.
6
7 Some of them use laptops and/or non standard LCD displays (1280x800,
8 1400x900 etc.).
9
10 AFAIK catalyst uses the x11-misc/mkxf86config tool to detect and setup
11 the X.
12
13 The main problem is, it cannot setup the dimension properly and the
14 display shows an ugly, stretched image, which is not really looks good
15 on a presentation.
16
17 Example: the X uses 1024x768 on a 1280x800 display.
18 The result is a working, but ugly X.
19
20 My question, is that possible to improve it?
21
22 I read that, the author of mkxf86 knows this issue and he/she is open to
23 improve it, but I do not know his mail :)
24 He wrote, this is hard-wired to make it cross-compatible.
25
26 Anyway, what about that to look into ubuntu/mandriva, how they solved
27 this issue?
28 I know, for example the i915 chipset has a problem, which needs a bios
29 patch to get it work (it is a crap, I have this on my laptop).
30
31 I'm pretty sure, this is not a trivial task, but it would be really
32 good :)
33
34 Regards,
35 István