From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Sort of Build Platform
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 05:01:55
1 Pierre,
2
3 Please don't top-post.
6 Shinkan wrote:
7 > I thought Catalyst could do the exact same thing with a more
8 > Gentoo-ish way and sort-of cache settings.
9
10 Yes, that is also a good summary of what I wrote.
13 > But I'm still not sure.
14
15 Be sure.
18 > Here are the 2 crucial points that I don't want to evade :
19 > 1) I do not want to build with a "deploy base Gentoo system, then
20 > remove" strategy
21 ..
22 > 2) I do not want my target system to bootstrap itselfs
23 ..
24 > Can catalyst still do the job ?
25
26 For the fourth time: catalyst does what you want.
27
28 It creates a stage tarball according to instructions in a spec file.
29 It uses emerge to build and install all packages in the stage. It
30 saves binary packages of everything that has been built to save time
31 if you want to make changes and run catalyst again. You specify how
32 you want the tarball (or livecd) to be produced, by adding
33 information to the spec file.
36 > Why exactly should I make a profile ?
37
38 Because your target or guest system will be sufficiently different
39 from what the Gentoo profiles are intended for.
42 In your case another idea is to create a simple script that runs
43 after the stage4 is completed. Then you will not unmerge, empty or rm
44 anything in the stage4 spec file, but use your script to create the
45 deployment tarball with only the specific binaries and libraries that
46 you want. Of course avoiding the script has the big advantage that
47 you can encapsulate everything in a spec file and have catalyst
48 generate the final product, but it will have a long list with lots of
49 files that should _not_ be included. Having your own profile helps in
50 shortening that list too.
53 //Peter