From: Shinkan <shinkan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Sort of Build Platform
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:52:35
1 Thank you for your answer.
2 By inspecting catalyst examples specs, especially stage4 one, I figured that
3 catalyst could do the job.
4
5 Right now I proceed by "cross-emerging" from a Gentoo host to a target dir
6 with emerge's --root and --config-dir opts.
7 With that, I can start with an empty target dir, and emerge into it
8 baselayout, bash and glibc. That's all I need for now.
9 Then I cross compile needed kernel to my target dir following Gentoo
10 cross-dev guide :
11 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/cross-development.xml#doc_chap6
12
13 That's what I need. But that's all hand-crafted scripts to always build the
14 same things.
15 Plus, I will have to make my target dir a LiveCD just after, so I'll have to
16 script more.
17
18 I thought Catalyst could do the exact same thing with a more Gentoo-ish way
19 and sort-of cache settings.
20 But I'm still not sure. Plus I don't get the "stage"-related thing in spec.
21 I read FAQ and get it a little more.
22
23 Here are the 2 crucial points that I don't want to evade :
24 1) I do not want to build with a "deploy base Gentoo system, then remove"
25 strategy (won't this break things ?). I really want to start from nothing,
26 or from a almost-empty root dir/tar I define. Because I want my target
27 system to be a "oneshot" system. It will not use portage, or gcc. It will
28 just run applications.
29 2) I do not want my target system to bootstrap itselfs by compilating its
30 binaries. I want my host system to build target things. Because of 1)
31 reasons.
32
33 Can catalyst still do the job ?
34 Why exactly should I make a profile ?
35
36 2009/11/24 Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
37
38 > Shinkan wrote:
39 > > - I want to build barely-usable minimal systems that I call
40 > > "guests" from my host. Guests would have to be setup on target
41 > > machines using fdisk and tar only, or put on a Live{CD,DVD,USB}.
42 > ..
43 > > Did I have to use Catalyst ? How can I do this if it's the clean
44 > > way ?
45 >
46 > You can certainly do it with a catalyst stage4 spec file. You'll also
47 > need to prepare a kernel configuration for the guests, and reference
48 > that in the spec file. You'll also spend some time on filling the
49 > spec file with packages, files and directories that should be
50 > unmerged and simply rm:ed from the final build.
51 >
52 > To make changes (like add another package to a guest) you would run
53 > catalyst again. It starts over, but keeps a cache of binpkgs that
54 > have been built so it runs well under an hour even on oldish systems.
55 >
56 > This is how I make custom distributions for customers.
57 >
58 > Since the guests will be very different from a standard Gentoo system
59 > it may also be worthwhile for you to create a new, custom, profile
60 > for the guests.
63 > //Peter
69 Pierre.
70 "Sometimes when I'm talking, my words can't keep up with my thoughts. I
71 wonder why we think faster than we speak. Probably so we can think twice." -
72 Bill Watterson