From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Sort of Build Platform
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:37:14
1 Shinkan wrote:
2 > - I want to build barely-usable minimal systems that I call
3 > "guests" from my host. Guests would have to be setup on target
4 > machines using fdisk and tar only, or put on a Live{CD,DVD,USB}.
5 ..
6 > Did I have to use Catalyst ? How can I do this if it's the clean
7 > way ?
8
9 You can certainly do it with a catalyst stage4 spec file. You'll also
10 need to prepare a kernel configuration for the guests, and reference
11 that in the spec file. You'll also spend some time on filling the
12 spec file with packages, files and directories that should be
13 unmerged and simply rm:ed from the final build.
14
15 To make changes (like add another package to a guest) you would run
16 catalyst again. It starts over, but keeps a cache of binpkgs that
17 have been built so it runs well under an hour even on oldish systems.
18
19 This is how I make custom distributions for customers.
20
21 Since the guests will be very different from a standard Gentoo system
22 it may also be worthwhile for you to create a new, custom, profile
23 for the guests.
26 //Peter