From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:54:18
1 On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 10:22 -0500, Mike B wrote:
2 > sorry, forgot to mention...I am using catalyst 1.1.1
3 >
4 > I am rebuilding stage1 and stage2 with the profile you reccomended,
5 > hopefully it will work out. Eventually I would like to get to the
6 > point where I am using the 2005.0 profile. Is it necessary to use the
7 > ~x86 catalyst ebuild in order to build using the 2005.0 profile?
8
9 Actually, the 2005.0 profile for x86 is unusable, and will remain so
10 until the 2005.0 release is finalized. The reason for this is some of
11 the changes will not go into the tree until 2005.0 is released, as they
12 are disruptive to the non-2005.0 profiles.
13
14 > I also would like the liveCDs I build to use the 2.6 kernel (for some
15 > I want to make custom kernels for others just use genkernel)... should
16 > I be using 2005.0 for this?
17
18 You can use a 2.6 kernel with any of the profiles. You should be using
19 genkernel for all of your kernels. Attempting to short-circuit the
20 genkernel build is generally frowned upon, and you won't get any support
21 from us on it. For a customized kernel, you simply provide your
22 already-made configuration in your livecd-stage2 and genkernel takes
23 care of the rest.
24
25 > Hopefully I didn't ask too many stupid questions. I am looking to
26 > become very competent at building my own customized LiveCDs. I found
27 > the catalyst FAQ, the reference manual, and the howto, in addition to
28 > the man page... if there are any additional resources that I should be
29 > looking at to gain knowledge I'd be thankful for a heads up.
30
31 Not at all... There is only limited information, unfortunately, as
32 catalyst development is still very rapid. It becomes even more rapid as
33 releases draw nearer, as changes are made to facilitate the release.
34 This is why I recommend everyone to use the latest stable version and
35 the prior release's profile. It is almost impossible for someone
36 outside of Gentoo's release engineering to keep up with all the changes,
37 without taking a good amount of time to examine the code changes
38 themselves to fully understand what changes have been made.
41 Chris Gianelloni
43 Games - Developer
44 Gentoo Linux