From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] hang up on generating modprobe.conf
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 13:16:18
1 On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 20:41 +0000, Nelson Batalha wrote:
2 > Oh, I thought you ment something else.
3 >
4 > A few things that, even if not causing it, could be tried:
5 >
6 > - Try a .config for a version that matches your kernel, or call oldconfig.
7 > Yours is 2.6.17 and unless you masked all untill that version, you're
8 > getting a 2.6.19 right? Not sure what genkernel does then.
9
10 It produces a somewhat working CD. In the case of Serial ATA, the
11 naming changed in the kernel between the two versions, so you won't have
12 *any* SATA support if you're using a 2.6.17 kernel configuration.
13
14 > - Just try "livecd/type: generic-livecd". It's the only one to be used by
15 > us, non releng people, and who don't know "exactly" what it does. You can
16 > always make a good "diet" with rm/empty/unmerge.
17
18 Well, gentoo-release-* make changes to the output. They ignore certain
19 options you've defined and replace them with Release Engineering
20 standardized ways of doing things. At some point in the future, they'll
21 be diverging even more, since gentoo-release-minimal and
22 gentoo-release-universal are likely to be re-worked to use busybox by
23 default at some point in the upcoming development branch of catalyst,
24 after 2.0.x goes stable.
25
26 > >(I got it from their .spec - file).
27
28 Remember that our spec files are made to work with our snapshot and
29 produce our output. As soon as you start changing any of the many
30 variables (snapshot, profile, seeds, etc) you make changes you're not
31 aware you're making and can break the build in numerous ways. Our spec
32 files are really provided for our own use and not really for general
33 consumption. They're great as a guide, but you need to read the example
34 specs that ship with catalyst and are documented. The example specs are
35 the current authoritative source of documentation for catalyst and
36 explain each spec file key. If there's one that you feel isn't
37 documented well enough, then feel free to file a bug and we'll fix it.
38
39 > So did I :S. Did you update the latest genkernel to stable on the snapshot
40 > you're using?
41
42 This is another issue as you get closer to release times. Certain
43 versions of catalyst require certain versions of genkernel. You'll want
44 to be using 3.4.7 (and actually, 3.4.7-r1 once I add it to the tree on
45 Monday).
48 Chris Gianelloni
49 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
50 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
51 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
52 Gentoo Foundation