From: Isidore Ducasse <ducasse.isidore@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] hang up on generating modprobe.conf
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 14:34:31
1 On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 09:15:17 -0400
2 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 20:41 +0000, Nelson Batalha wrote:
5 > > Oh, I thought you ment something else.
6 > >
7 > > A few things that, even if not causing it, could be tried:
8 > >
9 > > - Try a .config for a version that matches your kernel, or call oldconfig.
10 > > Yours is 2.6.17 and unless you masked all untill that version, you're
11 > > getting a 2.6.19 right? Not sure what genkernel does then.
12 >
13 > It produces a somewhat working CD. In the case of Serial ATA, the
14 > naming changed in the kernel between the two versions, so you won't have
15 > *any* SATA support if you're using a 2.6.17 kernel configuration.
18 While switching from 2.6.19 to 2.6.20, one could put those arguments to genkernel in the spec file:
19
20 livecd/gk_mainargs: --kernel-config=<youroldconfig> --menuconfig
21
22 Then when it comes to genkernel menuconfig, one would select the right options in:
23 > device drivers > Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers > ...
24
25 But if one looks for an almost definitive support of SATA, one would better copy <hisoldconfig> to /usr/src/linux/.config , run make menuconfig, rectify the config, and use this one in catalyst/genkernel (That's what I did).
26
27 I'm being very explicit because 1° I'm a noob 2° it took me days to boot a 2.6.20 kernel on my SATA drive using make oldconfig. Hope I'll be the last!
28 --
29 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list