From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Some easy sugestions to implement, I hope
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:03:18
1 On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 01:21 +0100, Alex Howells wrote:
2 > Hola Folks :D
3 >
4 > > Oops, I tried to use it before (to know what it did -exactly-), but had
5 > > problems, thought it wasn't implemented completely :S.
6 >
7 > Features aren't usually shipped in a lacking or incomplete form.
8
9 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...
10
11 You're new to catalyst, aren't you?
12
13 Seriously, there have been several occasions where features have not
14 been fully functional, yet have been shipped. Generally, this is done
15 only around Gentoo release time, as we *need* some feature for some
16 certain subset of the build and don't have time to implement it properly
17 across all targets. We generally go back and fix them up after the
18 crunch time of release is over, but we have done it in the past.
19
20 Probably the best rule of thumb is to either track ChangeLog for *all*
21 updates for catalyst done within 2+ months prior to a Gentoo release, or
22 don't update catalyst/genkernel *at all* during that time, since both
23 change very quickly during that time and tend to be reliant on specific
24 versions of each other for proper functionality.
25
26 It's an unfortunate side-effect of Gentoo releases, and something I
27 don't expect to change any time soon.
30 Chris Gianelloni
31 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
32 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
33 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
34 Gentoo Foundation