From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] gensplash kernel with internal initramfs
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:31:43
1 On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 14:59 -0700, David Wilk wrote:
2 > Howdy folks,
3 >
4 > I've taken the gentoo 2004.3 livecd and customized it a bit as an
5 > install cd. I made my own kernel with an internal initramfs with
6 > gensplash that uses an external initrd as well just like the livecd.
7 > This works perfectly (just like the livecd) when the BIOS is
8 > configured to boot from the CD.
9 >
10 > I have, however, a method to allow booting from the CD without
11 > actually bootstraping from the CD. THe running system (from the HD)
12 > mounts the CD, copies the kernel and initrd onto the HD, runs lilo
13 > with those as defaults and then reboots. When the system comes back
14 > up, it loads the CD kernel and initrd off the HD and the system boots
15 > just as if the BIOS had booted the CD.
16 >
17 > My problem is this. Although the kernel and internal initramfs load
18 > just fine off the CD resulting in a beautiful bootsplash screen, it
19 > does no such thing when loaded off the HD. THe kernel boots fine, but
20 > the initramfs is not loaded and there is no bootsplash. I have the
21 > same kernel boot 'append' line in both isolinux.cfg on the CD as well
22 > as in /etc/lilo.conf on the HD.
23
24 Could you post the append line? It might make it easier for people to
25 visualize.
26
27 > I've spent days puzzling over which lilo or kernel parameters might
28 > make this work and have come up with nothing. If anyone has any ideas
29 > I would love to hear them.
32 Chris Gianelloni
33 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
34 Games - Developer
35 Gentoo Linux