From: David Wilk <davidwilk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] gensplash kernel with internal initramfs
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:59:56
1 Howdy folks,
2
3 I've taken the gentoo 2004.3 livecd and customized it a bit as an
4 install cd. I made my own kernel with an internal initramfs with
5 gensplash that uses an external initrd as well just like the livecd.
6 This works perfectly (just like the livecd) when the BIOS is
7 configured to boot from the CD.
8
9 I have, however, a method to allow booting from the CD without
10 actually bootstraping from the CD. THe running system (from the HD)
11 mounts the CD, copies the kernel and initrd onto the HD, runs lilo
12 with those as defaults and then reboots. When the system comes back
13 up, it loads the CD kernel and initrd off the HD and the system boots
14 just as if the BIOS had booted the CD.
15
16 My problem is this. Although the kernel and internal initramfs load
17 just fine off the CD resulting in a beautiful bootsplash screen, it
18 does no such thing when loaded off the HD. THe kernel boots fine, but
19 the initramfs is not loaded and there is no bootsplash. I have the
20 same kernel boot 'append' line in both isolinux.cfg on the CD as well
21 as in /etc/lilo.conf on the HD.
22
23 I've spent days puzzling over which lilo or kernel parameters might
24 make this work and have come up with nothing. If anyone has any ideas
25 I would love to hear them.
26
27 thanks,
28 Dave